Internals of GCC

This time, Internals of GCC is a new type of activity in this course, because now it is not an article to read, it is now a podcast recorded by Software Engineering Radio with Morgan Deters as guest. If you like to hear poadcasts click on the next link to go to the page, tso you can hear it: www.se-radio.net/2007/07/episode-61-internals-of-gcc/. Hope you like it. :)


The topic of the poscast is about software engineering, but mainly compiling. The process of it, the parts and what they like about GCC. The speaker starts to talk about how the compiler composes, and he explained that compilers have three parts: front-end, middle-end and back-end, that are the one that translate raw code to trees, optimizes and process all data that has come between all that phases.


An important thing that was discussed is that Gcc is a portable compiler that can create different outputs for some processors where the compiler has been used, a powerful strength for GCC, because is capable to compile programs that return executable files for each system, a task that I think is incredible, becuase of its complexity.


I think gcc is a powerful tool that let us programmers to get more scope as it let us compile in systems that are not able to compile a program by itself. I think this podcast was very interesting because it gives me rich information for my course project as it gave me a good base fot ir, so some questions were answered when talking about building my compiler, which i think will not be an easy task to complete, even less as i'm approaching to the end. I hope that i can hear or read more of this kind of article, so my compiler will be more consistent with the fewer error it could have.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

The hundred-year language